söndag 28 februari 2010

The Case of the Horseshoe Crab

Finally, after waiting almost five years I managed to eat the infamous Horseshoe Crab. To my understanding it is the last remaining of it type of species. A relique from ancient times millions of years ago.

I ordered the Horseshoe Crab from a somewhat sceptic waitress. She looked deep into my eyes and asked:

- Are you really sure you want this? It is very spicy?

- Oh yes, I really want this dish. Actually I've been waiting a long time for it!

The waitress went away, and I must admit that I felt very excited as we waited for this culinaric sensation to be served. My dear wife who is a little bit more reluctant towards strange culinaric sensations choose another dish.

At last, waiting for about 40 minutes the Seahorse Restaurant on Koh Samet, Thailand, had the long awaited dish served. The Horseshoe Crab came in lying on its back filled with spices and a lot of stuff that was difficult identify.

Then the consumption of the Horsehoe Crab started. It was spicy alright. Hard-core chili and coriander. The Horsehoe Crab itself consisted of small circular quinoa-like balls, sometimes within some meatlike stuff. Despite the spices, this delicacy turned out to be a dissappointment, for more than one reason. First, it was rather tasteless. Second, the following night I spent in the lavatory. Third, It felt funny for three days after. My conclusion is that this was my one and only Horseshoe Crab.

Not that I hold it against the restaurant, but I should have noticed that Horseshoe Crabs are a sort of showcase for these restaurants, rarely bought and consumed.

Therefore there is a high possibility that the Horseshoe Crab investigated here, had been lying around for a couple of days or so. Ergo: My own fault.

Inga kommentarer: