måndag 19 januari 2009

Early morning bird



















Early this morning I got a mess from my wife. She had seen a black and white striped yellowish bird about the size of a sparrow, with the strangest sound; sounding like a malfunctioning cycle pump. After consulting all my available bird guides I came up with these three candidates. First we have the Speckled Piculet, which is related to woodpeckers, known to have strange sounds. You will see this bird just above the text. Our second candidate is the Leaf Warbler and of this bird we know little more than it exists in Southeast Asia. You will see this bird in the middle above. Finally we have a third candidate, which is a kind of bush sparrow. It looks right from the description, but has a sound like "seeye" or "zi'r'r'" or "sree'sree'sree'sree'sree". The big but is whether this bird is to be found in Southeast Asia or not... You see at the top. So which of the birds is it? Or is it another one?

4 kommentarer:

Bloggerskan sa...

None of them I would say. It looked like no 2 on the back but no 1 or 3 on the cheeks although thinner stripes.

It did not have stripes on its head.

Sorry I didn't get a photo of it!

Anonym sa...

Sorry??? An unidentified bird and you're sorry... I'm upset... remember Roberto Bolanos... DLM

Bloggerskan sa...

But I can describe it and will know it when I see it. It sounded like a talgoxe on speed...

Anonym sa...

Now we definitly need Craig Dobson's "The Birds of Southeast Asia"... DLM